Joining me on the podcast today is a dear friend who is an Anti-Racism Consultant and Therapist. He’s been doing the work helping people deal with grief and racial trauma for more than 20 years. He is uniquely positioned to acknowledge what is going on in many people’s heads and give us action steps to continue to show up during this incredibly difficult time.
So many people are suffering right now. Between the global health pandemic and the scourge that is rampant racism here in America, people are suffering. And more than that, they are angry that the world changed without their permission and they are struggling to name what is going on with them.
We are most in trouble when we’re struggling with what used to be—and our desire to have things as they were before. That is gone.
In this episode we discussed:
- The different ways that people are grieving right now, it’s not just loss of a loved one.
- With the global pandemic, what other emotions are wearing us down in addition to grief?
- What can we do now to deal with grief about the current state of things?
- The main thing we do that saps our power and keeps us stuck.
- How and why Black people are operating at less than their full energy.
- How racial trauma shows up in our bodies and what to do about it.
- How to improve the results you get from meditation.
- How to tell if you are managing your racial trauma well or need to seek additional support.
Who is Ray Fisher?
Ray Fisher, MSW, LCSW, PCC is a psychotherapist, executive coach and facilitator who has worked with a variety of individuals’, families’ and couples. He is a relationship expert who utilizes this knowledge throughout his therapeutic and coaching engagements.
He has over 20 years of clinical experience and over 10 years coaching leaders, Ray’s style is forthcoming, connected, personable, and grounded in research based techniques focused on helping individuals, families, and couples reach their stated goals.
He holds a Master’s degree from Smith College School for Social Work (where he is also an adjunct professor), attended the Teleos Leadership Institutes Coach Development Training Program, is a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) through the International Coach Federation (ICF), and certified in the Emotional and Social Competency Inventory (ESCI) through the Hay Group.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Contact Ray via email, Ray at Raythetherapist dot com
- Journey through Trauma: A Trail Guide
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- The Calm meditation app
- The Headspace meditation app
Other Anti-Racism Resources:
- White Marketers, Where are You?
- Podcasts about Race you Need To Hear
- How to Be an Anti-Racist
- Anti-Racism Resources for White People