How to Tell If You Really Like Yourself
How can you tell if you really like yourself? It’s probably something you don’t think about because you just assume that you do. But, according to an American sociologist, at any given moment, 80% of the world doesn’t like themselves. I’m a little scared of the answer, but I need somebody to do research on what the number would be for women. Do you think it’s higher or lower?
This morning I found myself thinking, ‘I really like myself’. That’s not the first time I’ve had that thought, or even my most enthusiastic episode of self approval. It struck me today because I realized that I’ve spent a couple of days NOT liking myself.
Spending time not liking myself sneaks up on me, just like I know it sneaks up on you.
It’s like being tired and taking a surprise nap. You may not realize how much rest you’ve been missing until you fall asleep in the middle of the day and take a power nap. You didn’t plan to do it but you wake up, looking around, wondering who drugged your coffee.
In short measure, you realize how refreshed you feel. Only then do you realize how your feathers were dragging and and you make all sorts of promises about how you will take better care of yourself. Until the next time. 🙂
I read an article that outlined 15 ways that people show they don’t like themselves but I disagreed with some of their ideas, so here is my list.
How can you tell if you don’t like yourself?
- Things that used to delight you, don’t make you as happy. And you start to talk smack to yourself for ever having enjoyed them.
- Your self care starts to slip, specifically what you eat and how much you sleep.
- You respond to things differently, often in a negative way. Being reactive and defensive is not a good look.
- You try to ignore your self-talk but in truth you are only ignoring the POSITIVE self-talk because it doesn’t match the negative conversation that’s going on in your head.
It’s so important to speak well about yourself, especially out loud. Remember in school when they made you read out loud? That was so you would get used to hearing those powerful words coming out of your mouth, in your own voice. You believe and remember more of what you hear from yourself.
How To Tell You Like Yourself
- When you see positive things in the world you connect back to how you have that characteristic
- You eat well, sleep well and take care of the valuable person that you are
- You immediately reject negative thoughts, like water off a duck
- You do the things that someone who likes themself would do
- You seek out people who like you too, because women like to hang out with like-minded people
- You think of ways to have a positive impact on others
- You embrace your inner warrior
In summary, when you really like yourself, you see positive things in the world and they remind you of yourself. You eat well, sleep well, and take care of the valuable person that you are. You immediately reject negative thoughts. You do the things that someone who likes themself would do. You seek out people who also like you, you think of ways to have positive impact on others, and you embrace your inner warrior.
How have you been doing with liking yourself lately?
If you’ve fallen off that particular wall, have no fear, this is not a humpty dumpy situation. You can put yourself back together again and like yourself again. As quickly as you want, any time you want. And the more you practice picking yourself back up and liking yourself again, the better you’ll get at it.
How to Start Liking Yourself Again
- Recognize the dislike
- Confront it
- Reject that feeling and leave it behind
How do you start liking yourself again? First, recognize that you’re in a period of dislike. We can’t fix what we won’t face. Next, challenge the reasons you dislike yourself. And then reject the false feelings and leave them behind.
Need some help liking yourself? There is no need to suffer alone. Schedule a Discovery Call and learn how to reject negative thoughts about yourself and start liking yourself again.
Have a friend who needs to hear this? Tell them how to listen to this podcast.
Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by. Have a powerful day.